Tuesday 1 September 2015

More on Morality.

I’d like to make a post on what I see as a fundamental flaw in most Christians’ attitude to morality. I’m sure I’m right in saying that most Christians view morality as an essential cornerstone of their religion, but I question whether it should be. Am I not right in thinking that the Christian view of morality is lifted from the Judaic model, from the Old Testament? Am I not also right in thinking that Jesus’s ministry was all about preaching a different message, which is why the Gospels are the basis of what is called the New Testament? And when Jesus purportedly told people not to judge the harlot, but ‘let him who is without sin cast the first stone,’ was he not effectively preaching against morality (or at least against moral judgement,) not in favour of it? And shouldn’t the teachings of Jesus be the bedrock of Christianity? In which case, are not those Christians who insist on strict moral observance - as they perceive and judge it - acting against the teachings of their so-called redeemer?

But I can’t make the post, at least not dogmatically, because I’m not sufficiently conversant with every little detail in the Gospels. What I need is to discuss it with a theologian.

No comments: