Sunday 24 March 2013

A Question of Judgement.

I’m pondering a question that I believe is important, but which I know is unanswerable. Why did the Taliban shoot Malala Yousufzai? Did the man who gave the order and the man who pulled the trigger do so because:

a) They saw her as mounting a credible challenge to their power?

b) They truly believed that she was misguidedly attempting to dismantle the rightful social order?

c) They believed they were carrying out the will of an omnipotent and unchallengeable creator God?

d) They saw it as an expression of their love for that God?

I’m a big fan of Malala Yousufzai; her courage and tenacity are the stuff of true heroes. I wish her all the best in life and success in her endeavours. But it’s so easy to look at an alien culture and be too simplistic in our reactions.

No comments: