Tuesday 1 May 2012

Contemplating the Lone Sausage.

I went to Derby today, and as I was approaching the entrance to the shopping mall where I was to meet Helen for coffee, I saw a complete, cooked sausage lying on the pavement.

It struck me that if I were a poet, I could wax lyrical on the lone state of this most humble of culinary items. I might have mused on the reason for its inglorious fate, and considered the possible effect of its loss on the erstwhile owner. As it was, I could think of nothing to say beyond simple reportage, which proved what I’ve long been coming to suspect. I’m no poet.

8 comments:

Anthropomorphica said...

I'm sure you could have managed a ditty at least Mr B! I'm back and very amused, thank you.

JJ said...

But it looked so sad, Mel. Ditties need to be jolly.

andrea kiss said...

Oh, but who'd want to read poetry about food?

JJ said...

Why, a poetically-inclined epicure, of course.

The cover of Sue Limb's book 'The Wordsmiths at Gorsemere' has William Wordsworth walking haughtily away and saying 'Not now, Dorothy. I'm contemplating my withered turnip.' That's what poets do, isn't it?

andrea kiss said...

Yep. Food comes up a lot when i'm writing. OR thinking. I think i'll go have a look in the kitchen...

JJ said...

Suggest you try aubergines. They're smooth and sensual and your sort of colour. And I thought Americans always spelt it 'yup.'

Strange Girl Press said...

In the south we say it Yep.

JJ said...

'Yup' sort of goes with 'Aw, shucks, ma'am.' Cowboy language.