Tuesday 13 June 2017

The Curse of Victim Mentality.

It occurred to me tonight that if I were going hungry because I hadn’t the money to buy food, I swear I would be less bothered by the hunger and more bothered by the fact that I couldn’t afford to eat. So what’s that all about?

It has nothing to do with shame. I’ve never had money because I’ve never been driven by money, and I’m fine with that. Being ashamed of poverty is, I’m quite sure, merely a product of systematic conditioning by a culture devised and controlled by those who stood to profit greatly from wage slavery. So if that isn’t it, what is?

I think it has more to do with feeling victimised, which means it’s all about self-pity. And that’s bad. I expect it stems from a messed up childhood when – or so I’m told – I went from being a bright, confident kid to a sombre and fretful one. I’m sure I’m not the only one so afflicted, but it’s still bad and I could do with getting rid of it.

But is it too late? And where do you start? And does it matter?

No comments: