Wednesday 7 June 2017

Pleasant Encounters.

Right, let’s get off the serious stuff and onto something meaningful for a change:

I spent a good hour talking to an ex-neighbour of mine outside Sainsbury’s today. I really don’t understand why that woman likes me, but it appears she does. She’s taken to hugging me every time we bump into one another, and touches my arm about once every five minutes. Today, having given me a rundown on some of her own quite extensive woes – smiling through the whole narrative as usual – she even invited me to visit her in her new house. I just don’t get it; why would anybody want somebody like me in their house? I wouldn’t. Not that I’m complaining, you understand…

And I met a very unusual and pretty dog – a cross between a poodle and a cocker spaniel, apparently. Have you ever seen a cross between a poodle and a cocker spaniel? They’re unusual and very pretty. This one had uniformly cream hair and a most fetching fringe, and her tail wagged happily rather than frantically. (And I still have a very soft spot for cocker spaniels, just so you know.)

Oh, nearly forgot... I also spent some time talking to a young Chinese woman in the coffee shop. She told me she wasn't remotely interested in Chinese culture, past or present. Always the way, isn't it?

No comments: