Monday 5 June 2017

A Bit of a Cheat.

I’m going to be lazy now. I can’t be bothered to make a proper post so I thought I’d copy a comment I made on YouTube. Is that cheating? I suppose it is, but when you’re pining for a lost connection all is permissible.

Somebody said he got goosebumps when listening to Hans Zimmer’s end music to The Da Vinci Code. A woman said that she did, too. A third person asked: ‘Why goosebumps? I don’t get it.’

I don’t usually reply to YouTube comments because most of them irritate the hell out of me, but I decided that that one warranted a little thought. So that’s what I did, and wrote

I'd say that goosebumps happen when a piece of music touches something deep inside which we're not generally aware of. Often it has a heroic slant, especially if it concerns a quest for something profound which is beyond the physical and commonplace, in this case a truth which touches on the mystical.

Such a phenomenon would pass the pragmatist by, but to a person of Romantic sensibility (note the upper case R), it can well evoke not just goosebumps, but floods of tears. It's about climbing the mountain and finding the answer to life, which I suppose is why Zimmer took the music up through the keys.

That's my take on it anyway. Others might see it differently.

Will that do from a man who is pining for a lost connection?

No comments: