Wednesday 15 August 2018

Seeing Summer Slide (and Bits.)

The year is winding down here in the Shire. The recent rain came too late to reinvigorate much of the growth that wilted irrevocably during the warm, dry, sunny days of May, June and July. And worst of all, the twilights are growing gloomy now.

Twilight is very precious to me, but the quality of twilight is a major marker of the waxing and waning of the year. August in the UK is the month when fecund summer is losing its grip and sliding inexorably towards frigid winter. I love twilight, but only when the transition is long, the breeze balmy, and the air filled with the flitting of hungry bats and diaphanous moths. When twilights grow gloomy, I grow gloomy.

I hate winter with a passion. Winter is constant torture to me. And spring is nearly always disappointing because the growth of light and heat is too slow and too erratic to suit my impatient spirit. When autumn comes I run on an undercurrent of anxiety, however beautiful the sight of decay might be to most people’s eyes, because I know what’s coming next.

Summer is my time; summer is my season. The smell of new-mown hay, the crack of willow on leather, the cool breezes when the sun is high and the warm ones when it rests, the azure lakes when the sky is blue and the fishes’ joy when summer showers refresh their realm, the birdsong at dawn and the scent of flowers at noon, al fresco meals and bare ladies’ legs reminding me that life, too, was once full summer.

*  *  *

I have one of those magical slugs in my kitchen tonight – the now-you-see-it, now-you-don’t type. Where has it gone? Ah, there it is. I must be careful not to tread on it for both our sakes. It’s the rain which brings them out, but where they get in remains a mystery.

*  *  *

Nearly time for scotch and music. Or maybe I’ll listen to somebody from the New World enumerating the various delights and frustrations of visiting, or living in, England.

‘They have no power points in their bathrooms,’ complained one.

‘One of the things which most shocks Americans is how beautiful the English countryside is,’ enthused another.

Is it? I’ve never noticed.

No comments: