Friday 17 August 2018

A House Fly Thing.

I have a house fly in my house. It’s taken up temporary residence on my computer monitor, which isn’t so bad because that means it isn’t trying to climb into my ear or walk across the back of my hand when I’m doing my best to type a bloody blog post.

On seeing it I was reminded of a ditty I wrote about an earlier version of the wingèd thing – probably an ancestor – back in the early days of this blog (in July 2010 to be precise.) Now, I know that it’s little short of a cardinal sin to reprise earlier posts, but different people were reading then (many of them commented at the time; one American high school student even called it a poem, which concerned me a little because if it’s a poem I must be a poet and I don’t think I want to be.) But I do like the ditty, so here it is:

I have a little house fly
Who follows me around
He really doesn’t pester me
And never makes a sound

Except for buzzing wings, that is,
We take that one as read
Apart from that I only hear
His thoughts inside my head

‘I’m such a lucky house fly’
He says, ‘this pad’s a find.
I’m sitting here on Jeffrey’s wall
And Jeffrey doesn’t mind’

‘Of course I don’t,’ I tell him back,
‘We’re just two kindred souls
We’ve got our different roads to walk
And slightly different goals

But otherwise we’re just the same
Mere fragments manifest
As flesh and blood and earthly needs
That put us to the test

So ‘welcome’ little house fly,
Do come in from the cold
And stay as long as you desire
Or ’til we both grow old

It’s surprising how many posts I made about house flies back in the early days. I was rather more prolific then, and most of the posts were a lot better than the ones I write now.

No comments: