Sunday 5 August 2018

Another Day, Another Danger.

I have to go for my second operation tomorrow morning, and you know what that means. No alcohol for me tonight, no going to bed tonight (I have to be ready to leave at 5.30 so there’s no point), no eating after 2.30am, no drinking after 6.30am. It’s all one hell of a nuisance but apparently it has to be done.

And then I remember what they always say about operations: that there’s no such thing as a safe one. Every operation carries risks, including the risk of death. (Oddly, the ‘risk of death’ one usually amuses rather than alarms, but still I find myself wondering the day before whether this will be the last time I do this, or see that, or contemplate the other.)

It reminds me of a recurring dream I had as a young child. I was on the battlements of a castle or the top of some other old building. It was dark and I knew I was required to jump off even though I couldn’t see how far away the ground was. I was reluctant to do it, but eventually I leapt into the unknown hoping it would be OK. And then I discovered that I could arrest my fall and hang in the air for as long as I wanted to, but it produced an increasingly uncomfortable sensation in my stomach. I knew that I couldn’t go back; the only way to get rid of the sensation was to allow myself to fall and hope it didn’t kill me, so that’s what I did. When I hit the ground I found that I was quite undamaged and lying on a grassy bank in the sunshine with a calm, comforting lake close by.

That was one of my most profound introductions to life and it’s informed my response to difficult situations ever since. And so I’m hoping that tomorrow’s landing will be soft. If it isn’t, thanks for reading.

No comments: