Sunday 19 August 2018

Condemned in the State of Disney.

You might remember the post I made a couple of days ago about putting a derogatory comment on a YouTube clip featuring extracts from Disney films. As expected, I got a number of responses which basically questioned my sanity.

But they were fairly mild in nature, with none of the usual expletive-ridden gobbledegook normally associated with YouTube trolls, and so I kept my replies low key and a little quirky. I found the whole exercise a bit of fun and made a point of not trying to offend the responders. The only vaguely serious comment I made was I think you’re missing the undertone of humour. It’s a British thing, and the nearest I came to an insult was referring to Disney as the great saccharin merchant. Personally, I think that was fair comment and pretty obvious.

Oh dear. Big mistake. Nothing short of a cataclysm ensued. I clicked on the thumbnail last night to answer the latest responder and got the dreaded message:

Video Unavailable.
The uploader has not made this video available in your country.

I doubt this is mere coincidence. This is censorship of Sino proportions, so what does it suggest about people who upload Disney clips on YouTube?

But apologies to the other 70 million Brits who can no longer take delight in hearing Pocahontas singing some drivel of a song in a Native American language. My fault. Sackcloth and ashes on order.

No comments: