Sunday 19 August 2018

Eschewing the Injunction.

The big news today is that I mowed my lawn. The reason it’s big news is that during the post-operative phase I was under strict medical injunction to do nothing more strenuous than tying my shoe laces, and so I’ve had to pay somebody else to do it. That hurt.

Today I decided that it was time to man-up and divest myself of medical injunctions, and so I mowed the lawn. It was hard going because my lawn has quite a slope and I’m still some way short of having my normal quota of strength and energy, but at least I don’t feel ill tonight. That has to be a good sign, right? Right.

And maybe it caused a bit of a stir in the village. ‘Mr Beazley’s mowed his lawn,’ one observant resident might have remarked. ‘Really? I didn’t know he was still alive.’ Mmm… I’m sure there isn’t a single local who gives a tuppeny toss whether I’m still alive or not, probably because I don’t give a tuppeny toss whether any of them are. The only person whose presence here was ever of any concern to me doesn’t live here any more, and I sometimes wonder why I bother. But I do. And it probably didn’t.

Tomorrow I might clean the car, which hasn’t been done by me or anybody else since the pre-operative days back in March. (I’ve been lucky with the weather.) Or maybe I’ll go the whole way in the matter of injunction divestment and climb one of the many stiles the Shire offers to give access to public footpaths.

It might be the one in Church Lane opposite the venerable old copper beech tree, the one that holds fond memories of leaning on the gate talking to the person who doesn’t live here any more, the one that leads to a track through a wheat field and takes you to a scraggy little wood with a hidden pool in the middle of it.

That’s the place where I would like to die if only I might be afforded the knowledge of when I’m about to take the leap, but I doubt life will be quite that accommodating. I expect I’ll die alone in a hospital bed somewhere, feeling guilty at putting the nice nursing staff to such trouble. Life’s always been a bit like that for me, so why change the habit just before going to heaven (the one with frolicking wood nymphs and cheese scones and things.)

No comments: