Tuesday 11 February 2020

The Continuity Curse.

I just watched one of the X-Files movies. There’s a scene in which Mulder walks through a door and a blast of air blows his tie over his shoulder. In the next scene we see him walking along a corridor where the air is notably still, and his tie is hanging properly again. ‘OK,’ I thought, ‘he must have put it right.’ Well, that’s what any normal person would do, isn’t it?

Ah, but then we get a wide shot and the tie is over the shoulder again, despite there having been no evidence of another blast of air. And then we see him approach Scully and the tie is back to hanging correctly. ‘Must be the woman’s touch,’ I thought. ‘Or maybe he really is a gentleman after all and finds it distasteful to approach a lady improperly attired.’ But then we get another wide shot of him talking to Scully. The tie? Over the shoulder.

I really wish I didn’t notice things like that.

Postscript

If I've got any sort of a life left, I could do with getting some sort of a life.

No comments: