Thursday 6 February 2020

Becoming Modernised.

You know, after eighteen years of owning a computer it occurred to me only tonight that I might be able to play CDs through it. I tried it and it worked, it really did.

Well now, there’s a discovery worth making. I always played music through an audio unit, mostly when reading novels of notable gravitas while sitting by the fireside in the winter. I thought that was what you did. And indeed it is, but it never occurred to me that modern times offered alternatives which were available to me, and not just to executive joggers in city parks and kids on rollerblades everywhere else.

This opens up a whole new world for me. Now I can play music when I’m reading in my office (because I don’t have a fireside any more. Well, I do, but I don’t have fires there, which makes it rather more than redundant.)

The only problem with this wonderful new facility is that I have only two CDs and they’re both by the same singer. All my music is on tape and vinyl (most of the tapes having been recorded from library CDs because I could never afford the originals.) I suppose it provides the perfect excuse to spend even more time treading the floors of the charity shops. They have shelf loads of 2nd hand CDs, and I expect I could find something tolerable.

And maybe I should start wearing a woolly hat for my charity shop sojourns, and an old overcoat tied shut with string, and complete the picture with a mangy old dog called Shep. It’s good to look the part when most people of consequence ignore you anyway.

No comments: