Thursday 6 February 2020

Cakiepop and the Boston Tea Party.

I watched a video on YouTube recently in which French people were quizzed on their knowledge of America. Most of them did reasonably well, and somebody – a Brit, I’ll be bound – entered a comment which said Americans can’t even find Europe on a map.

In consequence of this, I am now in correspondence with somebody in America – probably young and probably female judging by the tone – called Cakiepop. The last thing she said to me, while bemoaning the lack of British awareness in American schools, was ‘All I remember from my history class is that England taxed our tea so we threw it in the ocean so you must forgive me.’

So here we are again. YouTube drives me mad sometimes with those crass adverts which it insists on throwing uninvited into the middle of a classical piece of music, but just look at the vibrant and brave new world it opens up. Such people it has in it.

No comments: