Tuesday 11 February 2020

Keeping the Brazen at Bay.

It appears I have become perceived as a potential customer by the sex industry. Nearly every day I get junk emails from either ‘adult’ dating sites or some supposed young woman with an almost certainly fictitious name describing her body in great detail and requesting that I pay it attention in ways which I can only regard as questionnable.

Why am I getting them? I’m not aware of any surfing habit which might have put me in the frame. I wonder whether the fact that I occasionally use the term ‘young woman’ on my blog is responsible. Could that be enough to set the sleazy algorithms humming and licking their lips? Or does everybody get them? Are there nonagenarian great-grandmothers in nursing homes being bombarded by men called Pedro who have twenty different words for ‘hard’ and invite the old ladies to use their toothless gums to magnificent effect?

Look, I’m English and a little old fashioned. I’m not merely uninterested in this kind of marketing, I’m even mildly disturbed by it. So when I get these emails I don’t simply delete them, I use the blocking facility to prevent further invasion into my hallowed – and very British – account. But that only blocks one individual source. I imagine there are probably millions of like sources all over the globe because it’s that sort of globe. I wonder whether it would help if I typed…

NO SEX OR DATING ADS

…here. Would that get the nasty little algorithms off my back? Somehow I doubt it.

No comments: