Friday 15 July 2016

A Roman Connection.

Following on from the last post, it occurred to me that Astoria sounds like some place the Romans conquered.

Having brought the Dacians to heel, the legions then crossed into Astoria, conquering it in a mere six months of campaigning and bringing a reported 10,000 slaves back to Rome to feed the lions in the Coliseum.

The Roman connection having being made, I thought I’d post a view from Hadrian’s Wall in Northumberland.



And did you know that one of the favoured sites for the location of the Battle of Mons Badonicus – Arthur’s final victory over the Saxons – is also on Hadrian’s Wall about twenty miles west of this place? Don’t I know some interesting stuff? (And now somebody who knows even more is going to tell me that Astoria really was some place the Romans conquered. I can’t be bothered to Google it.)

No comments: