Wednesday 13 January 2016

Putting the Record Straight.

One of several theories about the meaning of the lyrics to this classic has it that it’s all about the sinking of the Titanic. I like that one. The sinking of the Titanic gives me the shudders – shipwrecks always do – so it’s nice to add a bit of a chill to the hearing of it.

  
Did I mention once that the captain of the Titanic, Captain Smith, came from my home town? He grew up very close to the first house I lived in as a baby. And it’s still popularly thought that he was the villain of the piece – the irresponsible skipper who pressed on regardless of the known risks. I gather it isn’t true; it was all the Americans’ fault, apparently. Something to do with big money being at stake – corporate pressure, and all that. I forget the fine details; I always do.

And I’m not having an anti-America day today, as the blog might seem to indicate. I’m just being mischievous because I find being sensible so difficult.

No comments: