Tuesday 12 January 2016

A Rare Beer Review.

There’s been a dearth of beer commercials over the past few months on this blog, so I thought I’d set the matter right.

Tonight’s tipple is Theakston’s Distiller’s Cask Range, which I found today in one of the discount stores. It comes in small bottles, and the reason for that is simple:

It’s strong: 6.5% ABV. And yet it’s remarkably soft on the palate, going down as easily as cranberry juice so you don’t notice the way it’s messing with your head in the process. It combines the flavour of a premium beer with that of a Speyside malt whisky, though how they contrive to mix the two remains a mystery.

It’s disturbingly splendid, so much so that, having drunk one bottle, I now want a second. I won’t; discretion must prevail on this one. I’ll switch to regulation scotch instead. My head is well used to that stuff, and the prospect of getting to bed at the first attempt will be greatly improved.

No comments: