Tuesday 30 September 2014

Wise Words Wasted.

When my mother was trying to instil in me a proper level of respect for the fairer sex, she always concluded with the same old adage:

There’s many a slip twixt cup and lip.

As I understand the saying, it might be translated as ‘Be diligent through all stages of any process. Maintain your concentration, for stumbling blocks lie ever in wait for the unwary.’

I never heard it that way. Being unusually rational for a teenager, I always put a more literal interpretation on it. (Ahem?) Had I been more open to the value of metaphor, I might now be able to indulge my passion for savoury munches with an endless supply of healthy (but expensive) unsalted cashew nuts, instead of an over-indulgence in unhealthy (and cheap) ready salted crisps. There is a connection.

JJ is going to wonder who wrote this in the morning.

No comments: