Friday 12 September 2014

Staying Separate.

It’s no good; this song is getting so under my skin that I have to post it.


Excellent as it is, however, there’s something causing me consternation. It’s the phrase make it happen. I’ll give you a bit of inside information here.

A few short years ago I had the opportunity to have a relationship with somebody much younger than me. She was attractive and compelling and I knew how to make it happen. I backed off because I knew it would have affected her life, and how was I to know whether it would have informed and enriched that life or damaged it? What right do any of us have to affect the life of another, and yet how many things are available which don’t affect the lives of others to some extent, however subtly? How on earth do you know where to draw the line?

It’s a little known fact about the reclusive mindset that it isn’t just about wanting your own space free of other people's influence, it’s also about not wanting to influence the lives of other people yourself.

No comments: