Thursday 25 September 2014

Today and Erudition.

1. My level of worldly wiseness (which isn’t quite the same as worldly wisdom) took a major leap today when I discovered what chai latte is. It’s only two days since I discovered what ordinary latte is, so this week may be regarded as a fast tracking one.

2. Continuing the theme of erudition, albeit obliquely, I donned my deerstalker and deduced with near certainty that I am almost personally acquainted with a Brunonian. Having become so damnably fond of, and impressed with, said Brunonian, I suppose I will now have to moderate my cynicism with regard to the value of higher education. When a person climbs to that altitude, they’re probably out of range of the anti-aircraft fire. And besides, there are some people you just don’t want to shoot at. You’re OK, MK, well OK.

3. Even more obliquely, I’ve remarked before that whereas people used to read books and magazines on trains, these days they’re almost exclusively engaged in the practice of poking and stroking smart phones and tablets. My fellow passengers today were no exception, apart from the man sitting next to me who was reading a book entitled ‘Beat Poets.’ Nobody stared, except me.

4. Lunch today consisted of a hot onion bhagee, a hot vegetable samosa, and a doughnut with caramel on the top and cream in the middle. Laying claim to erudition, whether by nature, nurture or association, implies neither sophistication nor sufficient wealth to make use of restaurants.

No comments: