Sunday 28 September 2014

Seriously Interpreting.

This is MC Escher’s picture Three Worlds. It’s one of my favourites, and there’s a print of it hanging about four feet from where I’m sitting.

  
The point is this: I interpret the three worlds as being

1. The surface world of phenomenal reality which you can reach out and touch.

2. The word beneath the surface, evidence of which you might sometimes see, but exploration of which would mean learning the required skills to dive to unknown depths.

3. The world above the surface, which you can only occasionally glimpse in reflection because you don’t yet know how to lift your head up.

I don’t make the slightest claim that such interpretation is definitive, not even to me. It’s just an interpretation based on one of my favourite notions as to what reality might be about. I don’t know what Escher intended, and I don’t want to know because I don’t want to be directed or even coaxed into any prescribed view of things. It’s why I don’t read books by gurus any more.

And if I get around to making another post later, I promise to try and make it a damn sight less serious than this one. Being serious is too much trouble these days, except when I’m bored.

No comments: