Tuesday 23 September 2014

The Russian Bear and the Recumbent Snail.

Should I make a post about Russia? It’s just that I read two news items over the past few days which intrigued me. One said that there had been mass protests in several cities against Russian intervention in Ukraine. That pleased me because I’ve already said that the Russian people seem to be taking a lot of flak for the sins of their leaders. The other said that Russia is working hard to make its internet access more self-contained so as to be ready for emergencies. These, said the news item, could include ‘war and an Arab Spring-style uprising.’ It led me to wonder whether the leadership fears one and is planning the other as an avoidance mechanism.

But what would I know? Two small news items amount to no adequate basis on which to form even a suspicion, let alone an opinion. So I won’t make a post about Russia, I’ll make one about snails instead.

There has been a snail in apparently the same spot on one of my outside door frames for two days. I have three theories so far:

1. The snail is dead, but still hanging on.

2. Snails are in the habit of returning to the same spot after they’ve concluded their nocturnal rambling. A bit like salmon, I suppose.

3. Snails sleep for long periods.

Any alternative suggestions?

No comments: