Monday 8 September 2014

Fraud, the Id, and Dolores.

Let’s suppose you’ve never really connected with people or the general conduct of life. Instead you’ve fallen back on playing roles and observing the process. Wouldn’t that make you the ultimate fraud? In my case there were a few notable exceptions which I’m listing for when I get to The Gates. There’s a whole matchbox full of them.

My biggest enemy was always the Id. The Id is an innocent looking creature who offers you irresistible trinkets in return for your soul. When you take one, however, he turns into an ugly, black, slimy thing which mocks you, and then you have to go get your tainted soul back. I wonder why he wasn’t in Harry Potter.

On which note, fans of the boy wizard might be mildly interested to know that the character I most easily recognised was Dolores Umbridge. That’s because I had an English teacher in high school who was just like her, only less diplomatic. She seemed to like me.

No comments: