Tuesday 16 September 2014

An Odd Choice of Name.

I just had a short e-mail from my friend Ms Wong to say that she has to leave at 4am for a business trip to Maidenhead.

For the benefit of those who don’t know, Maidenhead is a posh place down in the swanky southern shires close to Heathrow Airport. It has to be posh so that airline pilots have somewhere nearby and impressive to take that special member of the female cabin crew. Which brings me to my point.

Who the hell would think of calling a town Maidenhead? (And they say I’m strange.) I replied to Ms W along the lines of ‘I’m sure it will be very pristine and interesting. Maidenheads always are.’ And knowing that she always finds her business trips to Maidenhead a trial, I suggested that she should try to face the day with equanimity and think up as many double entendres as she can manage for ‘Maidenhead.’

No comments: