Thursday 25 September 2014

Favourite Words.

I seem to be using the word ‘compelling’ a lot lately. I go through phases with favourite words; ‘compelling’ appears to be the latest. I remember being slightly fixated on the word ‘eclectic’ once, but that was a long time ago, before the art students started having it printed on T-shirts.

I considered what ‘compelling’ really means, because I’m much given to using words without being clear as to their exact definition. I decided that it might be defined as:

Having the capacity not merely to attract one’s attention, but demand it.

I thought I might make a list of all the things and people I find compelling. It wouldn’t be very long, nothing like as long as the list of things and people who leave me cold as a marble toenail in an ice bucket.

I’ve been very fond of the word ‘effulgent’ for about twenty years now – ever since I first saw Becket’s Waiting for Godot – but opportunities to use it are rare indeed.

I think it’s time for bed. I've just been reading about the liberal Nazis in London wrecking a perfectly decent art exhibition about slavery. I find liberal Nazis about as compelling as born-again Christians, radical Islamists, corporate whores and diehard atheists. Let's all be open-minded and get on, shall we?

No comments: