Thursday 11 September 2014

Shades of Mistress.

For all the near-adoration I feel for Kate Bush, and for all that her music and I grew up together, I’d never heard her classic Cloudbusting until a couple of nights ago. It’s a most compelling track. From a relatively calm, almost innocuous, beginning, it gets heavier and heavier until you feel like you’re sitting on the other side of the balance being pushed higher and higher.

And then there’s the repeating phrase: Make it happen! And so the demanding mistress appears:

‘Make it happen, Jeffrey.’

‘OK, I’ll do my best.’

‘No, you won’t do your best. You will make it happen!

Fate was a more tolerant mistress. I thought back to many of the things I made happen in my life, and remembered that Mistress Fate allowed me my short span of triumph before sweeping everything away and replacing it with what was right for me instead.

2 comments:

Della said...

Never really listened to Cloudbusting either, will do so now.

JJ said...

I'm not too keen on the lyrics (drawn, I believe, from the story behind it.) What so impresses me is the typical Kate Bush 'drive' about the music.