Friday 26 September 2014

A Matter of Conscience.

I was given too much change in a shop today. 5p too much. I noticed when I was walking away and checking the cash in my hand.

So what do you do? It struck me that when the cash didn’t balance at the end of the day, the woman who’d made the mistake might have had to make it up out of her own money. (You know what these bloody corporations are like.) That didn’t seem right. And it seemed even less right that I should profit. OK, I know 5p doesn’t buy you much, but that isn’t the point. The point is the principle, and it’s personal. So I went back and sorted it. They looked at me like I was playing with a card short of a deck, and maybe I was, but my conscience was clear. Playing with a card short of a deck is preferable to having a muddy conscience.

No comments: