Monday 30 September 2013

Feeling Troubled.

Do you want to know why I haven’t made any posts today? It’s because my finer feelings, my propensity to ponder the meaning of life, my interest in base level philosophy, my observation of Shire phenomena, my curiosity regarding matters spiritual, my tendency to note little matters of minor import in the little life of JJ, and even my capacity to write silly ditties (especially my capacity to write silly ditties) have been swamped and brought to near suffocation by that wettest of wet grey blankets:

The Tory Party Conference.

The First Rule of Life in Britain is simple enough, and one that I learned a long time ago: during the week of the Tory Party Conference, do not switch on the television.

I forgot the rule; I switched the TV on. Now I’m suffering for my mistake.

Tory politicians are such an obnoxious bunch. They’re arrogant, pompous, aloof and didactic. Their body language oozes insincerity and the instinct for manipulation. They read from scripts cleverly written in the language of empty rhetoric and hyperbole. They have shifty eyes and oily mannerisms. And their favourite ploy is to take cheap shots at the easiest targets – today’s were the unemployed and immigrants. Then they take their bows while the brain dead masses in the audience stand and applaud the shameful shabbiness of it all.

It’s utterly nauseating, and I haven’t managed to climb out of the depressive state it engendered in me yet.

I just tried listening to some music. I thought it would help, but I made an ill-considered choice. All it produced was an abiding image of a woman in America, dancing. And that troubled me for a wholly different reason…

4 comments:

Madeline said...

Hey, at least your politicians haven't shut down the government as a way of punishing the president for wanting more people to have healthcare!

JJ said...

I know; I made the point in a recent post.

And shall I tell you something? I've encountered a few very excellent Americans since I started blogging. They haven't changed my view of America much, but they have changed my view of Americans.

That's why I take a lot more interest in American affairs than I ever used to. It's why the dripheads in the Tea Party anger me almost as much as our toffee-nosed Tories. I do believe they're letting you down, Maddie.

Madeline said...

Maybe the Queen can lend a couple of royal corgis to come and take over; I'm sure they'd do a better job.

JJ said...

Better still, offer to re-integrate into the British Empire, but on one condition:

NO TORIES

Obama can keep his job, only he'd have to become a Governor General or something, rather than President, but that's OK; Governor Generals probably have more real power anyway. And I'm sure Michelle (is that her name?) would love being called Memsahib.

You could have a picture of a corgi wearing a crown as your new flag, and members of the Tea Party could all be re-employed as punkha wallahs. Unpaid, of course.