Sunday 15 September 2013

A Bohemian Aspiration.

Do you know what Mel said to me the other day? She said she keeps having a yen to live my sort of lifestyle – writing deep into the wee small hours, with good music, a cigar, and a bottle of scotch.

This is from a woman who usually takes a year to get through half a bottle of scotch, and who can become staggeringly irascible if circumstances force her to stay awake beyond 10pm. Still, she’s thinking of doing a creative writing course next year, so maybe everything will change. (I did point out that true Bohemians don’t do writing courses, but maybe I’m prejudiced. Also, I don’t smoke cigars except the odd one at Christmas with a glass or two of port, but maybe I’m splitting hairs. And I play my music through a headset so only I can hear it, so maybe I’m not a true Bohemian.)

And do you know what I’ve only just realised? ‘Wee small hours’ is a tautology. The power of Sinatra, eh?

No comments: