Sunday 8 September 2013

Surfacing Briefly.

Do you know what the problem is with pits? You get used to them. The longer you spend in them, the more familiar they become. And the more familiar they become, the more they feel like home. And the more they feel like home, the less inclined you are to make the effort to get out of them.

That’s where I’ve been all week: sending angst-ridden messages to Zoe from the pit, and having to have them delivered by herring gull because she’s out beyond the headland at the moment – frolicking with migratory whales, I expect, while JJ languishes with worms and wobbly things.

(Did you know that herring gulls like having their picture taken, or that migratory whales go south to breed and north to feed? Australian ones do it the other way round, of course. It’s variously known as The Fosters Tradition, The Antipodean Anticline, or simply The Barbie Way.)

And since blog posts don’t come easily while languishing in a dark hole in the ground, I thought of re-posting some of my old efforts. Some of my old posts are really rather good, and some are really rather awful, but I thought of choosing a few favourites and having a season:

The Best of JJ: A Retrospective.

I decided against it.

I have a new backpack which is a bit smarter than the old one. What I really wanted was a posh canvas and leather one from the posh shop, but it was four times as expensive.

Back to the pit. It’s cold out here.

(By the way, there's another story up at the other blog, in case you're interested.)

No comments: