Thursday 26 September 2013

The Genius Loci of St Mary & St Barlok.

I took the long stroll to the church this afternoon and sat in the lea of its 13th century south wall for a while. It’s a supremely quiet and peaceful place, being screened from the road and the outside world by lots of mature trees, and I began to get the sense that something was aware of me. My first thought was that I’d dropped into an MR James story, but then I settled to pondering a more likely explanation.

I decided it was none of the subterranean occupants; I’m sure they’ve long since moved on by now, and graveyards have never frightened me. Besides, the presence, for want of a better word, felt behind me. It was the church itself, or something in the church.

I reasoned, for want of yet another better word, that the genius loci might be an objective and sentient phenomenon, and that it was the spirit of the building that was taking notice of me. The feeling was slightly creepy but in no way malevolent, so I decided to enjoy it. I used to get a similar feeling in a wood close to another cottage in another village where I lived in the 1980s.

*  *  *

So then I began to wonder just how many bodies are really buried there. The headstones only go back about 400 years, but there’s been a church on the spot for 12-1300 years. That suggests there are rather more people taking their final rest than have headstones to attest to their presence. And I paid my respects to the lady Isabella, as usual.

*  *  *

By a strange coincidence, on the way back I missed HT54 by seconds. That’s the mystery in the tail.

6 comments:

andrea kiss said...

Reading this makes my heart ache over not having a 13th century wall to go sit on :(

JJ said...

I expect you sat on lots in the 13th century. Besides, the current wall is the NEW one. I've never found out whether the foundations are also 'new,' or whether they belonged to the earlier Norman or Saxon churches. (St Barlok was a Saxon saint, apparently.) I bet you'd like the grooves in the wall where the men used to sharpen their arrows, though.

andrea kiss said...

Go on, rub it in ;)

Yes, that sounds like the best part. I think i told you once about an article i read with photos of a wall in an ancient Middle Eastern or Mediterranean city that still has finger markings on it from a worker who smoothed the mortar on. That also makes me heartsick.

I also recently read about a goddess figure that has been found and is believed to possibly date to around 800,000 BCE. !!! It blows my mind to think of someone, (and someone... a person not a homosapien?!) that long ago making art... forging that type of spiritual connection... contemplating those things. Its one of those things that's hard to stop thinking about.

JJ said...

I wonder if they told each other heroic poems round the camp fire as well.

'Thence came a mighty mastodon
I climbed a tree 'til it was gone.'

andrea kiss said...

Giant mastodon in the sky
why'd you doodie...

JJ said...

You can be tonight's steak pie?