Sunday 1 September 2013

Bravo Brooklyn!

One of the most special people in my life lives in Brooklyn, so I was happy to read the story about the cats in the subway.

In case you haven’t heard, it seems a cat and two kittens were spotted on the track at one of the Brooklyn stations. The authorities stopped the trains for a whole hour until staff had been deployed to catch the animals and make them safe. No service to Manhattan on that part of the system for a whole hour. Imagine that. It must have inconvenienced a lot of people.

The news report quoted one disgruntled commuter:

‘All this trouble, just for a bunch of cats. I hate cats.’

Well, he has every right to hate cats if he wants to, but that isn’t what it’s about. It’s about the New York Subway authority having enough soul to save some animals at the expense of causing a lot of people inconvenience. I like that. I really like that.

Do I love this town? Getting there.

No comments: