Monday 24 July 2017

Unbalanced.

What am I going to do about the priestess? The current score of our last eleven items of correspondence reads:

JJ 11 : Priestess 0

How do I know she isn’t taking the corporate ladder seriously and feels that I don’t belong in such exalted circles? How do I know she hasn’t been eaten by a shark or rabid wombat? How do I know she hasn’t changed her mind about being Most Beloved and Esteemed Empress next time round? I don’t, do I?

Priestesses do this sort of thing. One minute they’re talking to you, and then all is silence and you find that they’ve disappeared down some track going heaven knows where.

Is this her latest lesson? Patience is a virtue.

*  *  *

And while I’m on the subject of the high Romantic tradition (sort of) I came across a Kate Rusby track recently called The Elfin Knight. I haven’t heard it yet, but you can if you want to. It’s here:


  My first thought on reading the title was:

If I could be an elfin knight
I’d say ‘Oh no, not that’
Too many fears
Those pointy ears
Would make me feel a prat

Why don’t I just get a Facebook account and a smart phone like everybody else?

No comments: