Sunday 10 August 2014

In the Groove.

I had an e-mail from Ms Wong tonight, in which she said ‘I live in my head. Everything else is illusion.’

I think that must be why I re-connected with her after a seven year absence. (I don’t usually do that sort of thing.) And I think she’s probably a lot closer to enlightenment than I am.

It all stemmed from my proposition that ‘existence is the constant flow of non-being.’ So, OK, here’s the rationale in a nutshell:

We all agree that the past doesn’t exist, right? The past is gone. We also all agree that the future doesn’t exist either, because it hasn’t happened yet. We also agree that what we call ‘now’ is the point at which the past becomes the future. But the flow is seamless; there is no break between the past and the future. Ergo, ‘now’ doesn’t exist either. So if neither the past, the present, nor the future exists, where does that leave reality? In a constant flow of non-being?

We could go into the styluses that sit in the grooves of vinyl records if you like, but I can’t be bothered. We could also go into quantum physics, but I don’t claim to understand it, me being a bear of little brain. All I know is that now is the time for another scotch.

No comments: