Monday 20 May 2013

The Reality Conundrum and Wimpy Beer.

I went on a little shopping trip to Uttoxeter today. There were things I wanted from both the town and the retail park at the bottom of the hill. And I went to the trouble of taking some lunch with me for a change, instead of spending exorbitant sums of money in shops, like the 65p I spend on a couple of cheese and onion rolls from Sainsbury’s when I go to Ashbourne. (It doesn’t grow on trees, you know, and neither do cheese and onion rolls.)

So there I was, sitting in the car parked outside the shop that sells nearly everything cheaper than anywhere else, eating my meagre but inexpensive fare, when my mind drifted to one of my favourite topics. I’ve done it in depth on the blog before, but briefly:

It can be argued logically that there is no such thing as a point – either on a physical surface, or in space, or in time.

Ergo, since everything we perceive as reality is made up of zillions and zillions of points, nothing we perceive as reality actually exists.

We counter this apparent absurdity by saying that things must exist because we perceive them and interact with them, but maybe that’s where we get things the wrong way round. Maybe our perceptive faculty is somehow conditioned to generate the illusion of reality at the universal level, and thus a loop is created beyond which we are not mentally equipped to see. It’s at this point, for want of a better term, that we step tentatively into the realm of laughing monks, the Buddhist concept of phenomenal reality, and the things the quantum physicists seem to be saying.

So that’s how I spend my lunch breaks on shopping trips, in between getting the paint, the seeds, the new 1” paintbrush, the chocolate biscuits, the cheap-but-good Italian coffee, the cheap oats for the birds, and the special offer beer from the shop that sells nearly everything cheaper than anywhere else. Sad, isn’t it?

The beer, by the way, is German Krombacher Dark again, and here’s what’s odd. It’s similar in style to London porter, but it has nothing of the heavy taste one expects of a dark beer. The taste is light and subtle, and that’s not very Wagnerian, is it? But then it says on the bottle that it’s ‘brewed according to the German Purity Law of 1516.’ Well, Wagner hadn’t introduced the world to Brunnhilde by then, so maybe that’s the reason.

2 comments:

andrea kiss said...

Points confused me when i first started to 'learn' about them in math classes. Kept me up at night wondering if 'things could me infinitely small. Seemed to me as a kid they can be infinitely big, meaning larger and larger and larger things as long as there is space in the universe/mulitverse to hold them or contain them, or where they can exist. Points had me questioning whether or not there could be smaller and smaller things on and on and on down tinier and tinier and no end to how tiny something could get and still exist without disappering. I hope this makes sense. ;)

Then there was the question of what existed before every thing began to exist, like what was the space that contained space, and so on... I think these questions are what started my actual feelings of panic that i would get sometimes as a kid. My imagination would get carried away with me, and for some reason when i would try to visualize some sort of explanation or seek a way to gain even a little bit of an understanding i'd start to think about how strange it was that even i actually existed and it would all get a bit scary, for whatever reason. The unknown i guess?

JJ said...

Which is why you're so precious, Andrea, and why I respect you. Fellow fruitcakes are hard to come by.