Thursday 9 May 2013

On Old Acquaintances.

I had a postcard from Budapest today. It was sent by my old friend and manager Pavli, from when I used to hang the art exhibitions at the theatre. She’s back in the Czech Republic now, where she came from originally. I remember being particularly mean to her one winter when the depressions were bad. She ignored my horridness and stayed loyal, and that’s why I shall always treasure her friendship. But here’s the interesting bit:

Tagged on the bottom of the message was:

Kim
xxx

Kim is the sister of Pavli’s friend Jess, and I knew her way back when my knee was fit enough to let me dance the night away. (I never danced the night away with Kim, you understand, but that isn’t the point.) The point is that she worked at the theatre in those days and I grew rather fond of her. She had an impish manner, an engaging smile, and hair that came in different flavours every day. So to read Kim xxx was a bit special. It must be… ooh… nearly twenty years since I’ve seen her. It made my night. It did.

And the IPA beer is pretty splendid, too.

No comments: