Sunday 5 May 2013

Being a Step Removed.

Do I know where hell is?
Hell is in ‘hello’

I never had much of a problem with ‘hello.’ My word of warning was always ‘welcome.’

‘Welcome’ is a word for nice people. It’s a word that seems to have been largely hijacked by the squidgier underbelly of those who wear ‘liberal’ as a label. It belongs in the world of group counselling, and I don’t do groups. It sits well with Alcoholics Anonymous and Christian youth clubs.

As soon as I hear the word ‘welcome’ – or even feel a sense that it’s being implied – my guard goes up and I take a step back. I feel as though I’m entering the lair of a benevolent spider which doesn’t want to do me any harm, but does assume I’ll be whatever it wants and expects me to be. I feel as though I’m about to be consumed, one way or another. The taste of impeding conflict hangs on both its syllables.

There have been, and are, exceptions. A company of actors I knew once gave their welcome for the price of nothing more than that I be moderately interesting and straight with them. I could manage that. And then there’s the rare special person who welcomes whatever I am, warts and all. Apart from them, ‘welcome’ is the word that winds the wheel that lifts the drawbridge.

Which reminds me: I must get out and see what the Shire looks like in daylight these days. It’s so long since I’ve done that, what with one thing and another. I wonder how Miss Inca is, and whether she ever had puppies. This post doesn’t apply to dogs. A dog’s welcome is always welcome.

No comments: