Sunday 5 May 2013

The Problem with Belonging.

The previous post is a bit of a hoot, isn’t it? It came as a result of reaching that point when the lateness of the hour combined with the effect of a little alcohol leads part of the brain to become overactive while the processing faculty is slowly fading. I thought of taking it down, but I’m not going to because there’s some truth in it. It just isn’t that simple.

*  *  *

And I just read of a NYC brokerage firm which is giving its employees a 15% pay rise to have the company logo tattooed on their arms. They say it’s to do with demonstrating loyalty. My brain is deficient in that area. There’s no part of it which understands such a principle, which I suppose is why I never had any money; I don’t know how to belong to anything but myself. I failed to get a job once after telling the interviewer that I saw no reason to be loyal to somebody else’s money making machine. The look on his face is one of the things I’ll be taking with me when I go.

Oddly enough, I can be fiercely loyal to individuals, but only the special ones.

No comments: