Saturday 11 May 2013

Becoming Eddie.

My alcohol consumption is increasing. I’m beginning to feel like the Walter Brennan character in To Have and Have Not. I used to feel like the Humphrey Bogart character, but I don’t whistle too well these days.

This post is dedicated to Zoe, just because it's apposite.

Yes, I remember Zoe
The name
Because, one afternoon of heat,
The express train drew up there
Unwontedly
It was late June

That's apposite, too, and I only changed one word from the original. (I have changed the line structure, though, in keeping with the metaphorical allusion.) And I haven't touched a drop since 3.15 this morning, just after I woke up and before I went back to sleep.

If I'm in this sort of mood now, just think what I'll be like once the moon has moved over the yard arm. I think I might watch a bit of Lord of the Rings again, to see whether I can ignore the sense of disquiet I feel every time I realise that none of the members of the Fellowship took a change of socks and underwear with them when they set off. No wonder Arwen's eyes spent much of the film watering.

No comments: