Sunday 19 May 2013

Linked by LOTR.

On Wednesday, I said of Ashbourne that ‘nothing fun, funny or even mildly interesting happens there now.’ That isn’t entirely true; something mildly interesting did happen there on Wednesday: I saw a man who looked remarkably like Gollum. I looked at him several times to make sure, and he did. He even sported a passable imitation of the ears. I imagine he must be used to people doing double takes in his direction. I wonder if he knows why.

*  *  *

My recent watching of the LOTR film trilogy has had one notable and beneficial effect. I always felt a little guilty that I possessed no sense of rapport with horses. Well, I do now, ever since I realised that most of my favourite scenes from the film involved horses being noble, swift, courageous and faithful. It showed today when I met Ange (the sheep farmer) coming up the lane on her beautiful palomino hunter. She stopped to chat, while I spent the whole time stroking the horse’s nose and neck – not awkwardly as I used to, but as naturally as I’ve always done with dogs. He stood stock still the whole time, instead of jinking about as he usually does. ‘Your horse seems to like me today,’ I said. ‘That’s because you’ve put him at his ease,’ she replied. Well, there you go. At one point he turned and looked me full in the face for some time. It was a knowing look. It seemed to say: ‘Got here at last, have you? Good.’

*  *  *

And tonight I found my way to a Ringie forum website. I assume they’re called Ringies, like Trekkies and Peakies – people who don’t merely immerse themselves in LOTR, but seem to regard it as their primary reality. It was quite an eye-opener, reading all their earnest, deep discussion around facts, details and speculation on such matters as what really happened back in the day when Lord Sauron seduced the Nazgul into his service. It reminded me of the way people discuss the life of Jesus during confirmation classes. I thought of suggesting that they hold their next convention in Ashbourne, home of the real Gollum, but decided that the staid, sleepy little town would probably crumble under the weight of such excitement.

3 comments:

An Dreoilín said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
An Dreoilín said...

I always thought that if I ever rode in a freestyle dressage test, I'd use Howard Shore's "Concerning Hobbits" song. Very suitable to your (very pleasant, I might add) post, my good sir.
(I left this comment before, but realized I'd said "Martin Shore" instead of "Howard." Cue subconscious Martin Freeman as Bilbo thoughts taking over my typing.)

It's been a while.
-Kaetlyn

JJ said...

What a pleasant surprise. When I saw An Dreoilin, I thought some irate Catholic had come to assure me of my final destination. But no, 'twas only McCafferty, and very welcome. I noticed you'd peered through the door a couple of nights ago. What's it mean, and where've you been?

Yes, finally 'feeling' the horse was one of life's better experiences. I always felt I should get to know horses better. It's a major gap in my education.

And by an odd coincidence, I posted that clip of Kevin O'Reilly (sorry, too lazy to go back and check the proper spelling) playing his Norwegian fiddle in the Back Loft session a week or so ago.

So nice to hear from you, Kaetlyn. I hope all is well.