Friday 3 May 2013

Fools to the Right of Us...

There’s a civil war raging on the right wing of British politics at the moment, between the traditional nasty-and-dim Tories and the xenophobic upstarts in UKIP. In a way it’s fun to watch, especially since they’re both jumping on the death bandwagon and invoking the Spirit of Thatcher in a comical attempt to win friends and influence people.

I wonder how many of them stop to consider that the politicians who are best remembered are those who fought for humanitarian principles and social justice – the abolition of slavery, women’s suffrage, workers’ rights and so on – not those who sought to demolish a relatively egalitarian system and replace it with a fly-by-night, boom and bust, socially divisive economy with no solid base, and which merely serves to create a few more millionaires at one end and a disadvantaged, disillusioned and potentially dangerous underclass at the other.

I think I need either to (1) get drunk, or (2) get Lady Gaga to come and sing me to sleep. (As long as she doesn’t reveal her thighs… I think they’d give me nightmares.)

I don’t think I should have said that. Better persevere with the scotch.

No comments: