Wednesday 29 May 2013

Seeing Water.

For the first time in my life tonight I felt a deep sense of what amazing stuff water is. I knew it already of course, but I never really appreciated it before.

It seems so innocuous in small quantities. It has no colour, very little smell, and it offers hardly any resistance to the touch. It seems the very definition of mundane. And yet without it, life couldn’t exist. By the same token, it’s one of the foremost agents in the taking of life.

Being in the middle of the Atlantic during a force 11 storm was easily the most potent experience of primal power I ever had, but it’s the same stuff as you wash your hands in. Isn’t that amazing?

And maybe it can even tell the future. I keep on seeing that scene from Lord of the Rings in which Galadriel introduces little Frodo to the scrying bowl. The power of woman, the power of water. The gentle and the destructive all in one package. Amazing.

No comments: