Friday 17 May 2013

Getting the Appropriate Treatment.

After my rant about the regimentation of O Fortuna the other night, I thought I’d post another version by way of contrast. I suspect this one’s French, though I can’t be sure. It’s more pagan than plastic, which is surely how it should be since it’s all about life’s vicissitudes. And if anybody likes me enough – or even respects my opinions enough – to actually watch it, thank you. Oh, and here’s somebody’s English translation of the first verse, just to illustrate why a bunch of plastic Barbie dolls nailed to the stage don’t really accord with the spirit of the work.

O how Fortune,
inopportune,
apes the moon's inconstancy:
waxing, waning,
losing, gaining,
life treats us detestably:
first oppressing
then caressing
shifts us like pawns in her play:
destitution,
restitution,
mixes and melts them away.


No comments: