Sunday 7 April 2019

The Real 1984.

When I’m flicking through the TV channels to see whether there’s anything I might tolerate in an idle moment (which there hardly ever is) I keep bumping into shopping channels on the way. I’ve even stopped to watch the odd minute or two of them out of a sense of bemused curiosity.

You see, it isn’t the sheer tackiness of them that troubles me. If people want tacky, let them have tacky. I have little to do with people anyway. What troubles me is this:

The very fact that they not only exist but patently proliferate indicates that there must be a demand for them. And that means there must be a lot of people out there in the so called developed world who are content to spend their time sitting on a couch and watching a screen in the corner of the room in the hope of finding something to buy. If that isn’t a leap through the looking glass, I don’t know what is. And that’s why I’m truly led to suspect that shopping channels are the true face of dystopia.

No comments: