Tuesday 9 April 2019

Best Friend Blues.

I had a conversation today with the manager of the coffee shop about the fact that people aren’t allowed to bring their dogs in. I said it was a shame because, in my book, dogs are wonderful creatures and should be welcome just about anywhere. She agreed and said that she’d be perfectly happy to allow dogs in, but it was against company policy.

I asked her whether it was a hygiene issue, and she said it was more about the fact that some customers object. Ah, so here we have the real bottom line. I suggested she get a notice for the door which says

Dogs Not Allowed

…and then precede it with

People Who Don’t Like

I was quite proud of myself, actually, because my mind doesn’t usually work that fast. But what I omitted to say - rather shamefully - was that nobody objects to people bringing their babies in, and babies routinely engage with the practice of random vomiting. I'd say that just about wins the argument for the dogs.

No comments: