Wednesday 3 April 2019

On Being the Runt.

Did you know that, according to Blogger stats, last month my blog had the fewest visits of any month since April 2010? I assume the explanation is one of the following:

1. I’m honing the tone to something approaching perfection.
2. My light shines so brightly that only enlightened beings can stand the glare.
3. Something I haven’t thought of yet.

And do you know what else is interesting? I’ve started watching animated videos by a young woman from Arizona who styles her vlog Jaiden Animations. Here’s an example, should you be interested:

  
I’ve adopted the habit of watching one a night in spite of the fact that they’re enormously popular (you might have noticed that I generally shun things which are enormously popular.) The reason I watch them is the fact that I like her voice, I like the personality which shines through her presentational style, I like her animations, I like her sense of humour, and I generally like the content. Most of all, however, I like the fact that her mind works very much like mine, which is quite a rarity in the world of muggles.

So here’s what’s odd. Being enormously popular, she gets a hell of a lot of comments and they all get liked. It seems you automatically get ten likes just for turning up, and if you say something really deep like ‘Haha. Love this’ your like count can rise into the thousands.

Except me. I’ve left a comment on every video I’ve watched, but I’ve never had the thumbs up ticked. So that leaves me pondering the same question as I do with visits to my blog: why am I the perennial wallflower of cyberspace? I think I should refer you to the three possibilities listed above and also add a fourth:

4. I don’t fit in.

I like that one.

No comments: