Thursday 4 April 2019

On Confusion and the Lady in the House.

The generally mild winter and the unusually warm spells in February and March have caused many of the plants in the garden to think that it’s already May. The weather, on the other hand, is being unusually fickle at the moment, and for the past three days seems to have forgotten that February finished six weeks ago.The poor plants look very confused, poor things.

As for me, I have a body which is becoming ever more susceptible to changes in the weather. Today has been characterised by sneezing bouts. Two days ago I thought I had a fierce chest infection starting. Another time it might be a sore throat, toothache, headache, or earache. And that’s why I’m beginning to wonder whether my seemingly rheumatic fever-like symptoms are actually an unforeseen consequence of global warming.

*  *  *

But at least the Lady Isabella now looks at home. I had to paint part of a wall today and re-hang two pictures so that the lady was in the right place on a pristine ground and everything was back in balance. And the best news of all… I googled Images of Renaissance Portraits and found her! She was painted by some chap called Angolo Bronzino some time in the middle of the 16th century, so I was right on two counts: she’s Renaissance and painted by an Italian (at least I assume he was Italian with a name like Bronzino.) She also has red hair, by the way, a fact which I forgot to mention and which some people will no doubt consider important. And this is she:


Incidentally, the print on my wall has far better definition as you would expect. The skin tone also has a more ivory tint, which I prefer and is probably closer to the original (although which is better I wouldn't know because I'm not an artist.)

And while I was on the Images page, I also found this which I thought amusing. If anybody doesn’t know who he is, you should. I’m just off to watch his latest adventure in the Blood From Every Orifice Show.

No comments: