Wednesday 17 April 2019

Divided by the Chinese Girls.

My ex, Mel, is currently doing a part time job in the coffee shop at the local university. Tonight she was telling me about the Chinese girl students who come in. They drive her up the wall, apparently.

‘They’re so rude. They have no manners at all, you know. They jump the queue and march up to the counter demanding “I want black American.” Do you mean a black Americano? “I want black American.” I tell them to be patient and wait their turn, but do they? They don’t make proper eye contact either. I mean, I know it’s a cultural thing and all that, and then there’s the language barrier, but it drives me up the f******* wall! One of them is particularly bad. I’m sure you’d love her. I expect you’d find them all endearing. You’d smile and calmly explain that we don’t do things that way in Britain, but when it’s busy and you’re run off your feet, the last thing you want to see walk in is a Chinese girl student.’

‘I’d find them all utterly endearing,’ I replied.

‘I know. I just said that.’

‘I know.’  

No comments: