Monday 8 April 2019

On Mind Reading and Messages.

I told one of the women in B&Q the story of the lawnmower and the advert as reported on one of last night’s posts. She expressed the belief that technology is, indeed, now reading our minds, and seemed to think I was an idiot for not having realised it.

And now I’m beginning to wonder whether she might be right. ESP has long hung around in that no man’s land between complete acceptance and complete rejection within the scientific discipline. Maybe the nature of the phenomenon is such that technology has simply learned to be better at it than we are. It would explain a lot of the odd behaviours exhibited by my computer, and I did say that I expect young women to be in the van of a new and enlightened world, didn’t I?

And just to go off at not too steep a tangent, I was watching an episode of House last night when my right shoulder developed an itch. Just as I reached up to scratch it, the poor patient being subjected to the usual tortures concocted by Dr House and his devilish cohorts reached up to scratch her shoulder, and one of the cohorts observed that ‘itching is one of the symptoms of liver failure.’ Is this that damn universe playing games with me again?

No comments: